Monday 5 April 2010

Goldman talks Black and Hammer



Just a short note to say that Jane Goldman (pictured), the scriptwriter behind Kick-Ass and Stardust, has been interviewed about writing the script for upcoming Hammer production The Woman In Black, where she talks about British horror films a bit.

She tells Fear Net:

I think growing up in England you couldn't help but be a fan of Hammer. It is what it is, Hammer. A lot of them, I think you remember fondly and then you go back and they're kind of cheesy. [Laughs.] But it's amazing that it was that strong a brand; it's a well-known phrase. People still say "Hammer Horror House", and I'm proud to be part of that. The TV series they used to make was on when I was a little kid and it was terrifying to me then. [Laughs.] It was the school equivalent of the water cooler – you'd be like, "Did you see Hammer House of Horror last night?" So that was exciting. But mostly I liked the project because it was such a strong story and the novel is based on something I'd always loved -- I saw that play about six times. [Laughs.] It was exciting.
"Hammer Horror House"? Now, I'm no pedant, so I won't comment on that. I saw the play too, it's bloody terrifying. She also says:

I think there's been some really interesting (recent British horror) films. Eden Lake, which is directed by James Watkins, who's gonna be doing The Woman in Black, is a really great intelligent piece of horror filmmaking. And there's been stuff recently like Severance, which is a lot of fun. But it just felt to me… It's in terms of the approach that's right for the story. Having said that, the British horror industry, when we do make films, is great and there's a lot to admire. But right now we don't have that strong an identity in terms of the style of British horror. I think there's room for all different approaches. 
So, good news, then. Well, I'm happy. And I didn't mention Jonathan Ross once. Oops.

No comments: