Tuesday 14 September 2010

Too scary for festivals? Take your Pixel...



The above is the trailer for new low budget Brit horror Pixel, which has (apparently) been deemed "too scary" for recent film festivals. Considering that they're busy showing stuff like A Serbian Film and The Human Centipede (two films which beg the question "why?") I find that statement a tad hard to believe, but I will admit that there's something unsettling about the trailer...

How do I know about this? Because the guy behind it, Jeff Angel, wrote me the following email...

Please let me introduce myself my name is Jeffrey Angel and I am a Horror film fanatic and I have just made a 46min Horror film entitled PIXEL that (so far) no festival will show as they are too chickenshit. If I had made a film with Zombies being decapitated or entrails flailing that's cool but if I attempt to make an "adult," not in the tits & ass sense (I wish) horror flick dealing with dark, human themes everybody starts to get uncomfortable. I love the more psychological horror films and am a Carpenter, Polanski, Reeves, Jaques Tourneur acolyte and I would really appreciate your support in help publisizing our trailer. If enough people show an interest then I am going to upload the whole Horror movie this Halloween so everybody can have a free Horror film on me, but be warned ... people who have seen it have said
"... a film I really wish I could get out of my head" and "nihilistic to the point of causing depression" so it looks like I did something right then.

We have a brilliant black male lead actor and I hope that, in some way, this going against type (especially in Horror) might help break the stereotypical (de rigueur) chopper fodder black guy / gal actor seen all too frequently in Horror films (you just know they are going to "get it" in the first reel.)

You are the first person I have written to (uploaded trailer just now) as I am a big fan of the site. Best wishes Jeff "Pariah / why does everybody hate me?" Angel.

No comments: